Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mom Essay Pre-Write

     As a child, I was always begging my mom to quit smoking. It had gotten to the point where my friends didn't even want her to drive us anywhere. I didn't think that she cared about what I thought about her habit until the day she proved it. We were on our way to Canada to spend some time with my family when I noticed a substantial amount of cash in her purse. Even though I was young, I still thought this to be suspicious so I asked her what it was for. She told me that we weren't going to my Grandma's house like I had thought. We were on our way to hypnosis center in downtown Windsor. Her and my uncles (who were also heavy smokers) were getting an acupuncture procedure done to aid them in the journey to becoming a non-smoker. Being young and naive, I thought that this procedure meant that my mom was officially a non-smoker forever. However, I was very wrong about that and my expectations were brought back down to earth every time I caught her sneaking a drag.
     I chose to write about this specific time in my life because my mom is very important to me. She is one of the strongest people that I know. Her life tends to be one obstacle after another but she always overcomes them.  I feel that this experience will make for a strong project because of the series of events and roadblocks that my mother had to go through. There are so many different experiences within this experience as well as different ways to look at them, relate to them, and envision them. Also, smoking is a big problem in America and my story would be able to relate to a lot of people going through the same struggle that my mom had gone through or people supporting others who are trying to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment