Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mom Essay Pre-Write part 2

My purpose for this essay is to relate to my audience and give them hope for whatever hardship they may be going through.
My audience will be mainly, targeted toward quitters and the quitters supporters as well as people who feel like life is throwing them one obstacle after another. Although, the tone of the essay should relate to various hardships.
The tone of my essay will change quite frequently from pride to disappointment to loneliness to depression and back to pride.
The universal emotions contained in my essay that will help to relate to a broader audience will include desperation, disappointment, and loss of hope when it's one hardship after another.
I feel like I'm writing this story because my mother and I didn't always have a good relationship. Most of that was because of her depression and mood swings which worsened while she was quitting. Now that I'm older and she is moving on with her life we have become a lot closer and our bond has definitely strengthened because of our time and experiences together.

As my mother (and I) was struggling to set her free of the habit that kept her trapped I started to feel alone for the first time in my life. I was nearly ten years old while everything was going on and I feel as if I was the only one who really truly cared about saving precious minutes of my mother’s life. My sister, Chelsea was almost sixteen years old and she wasn’t necessarily the most angelic child. Chelsea was barely ever home and had no time to be spent with her mother or kid sister. My dad was working second shift at Chrysler so none of us ever saw him either. It was just me and my mom. But as her battle dragged on she became less and less of herself. She started to sleep more, had the worst headaches, and was mean, short tempered, and sometimes even quiet as if she was giving up. All I could do was sit there and watch. At ten years old, I was the only one there for her, the only one that cared, and the only one putting up with her changes of mood. Eight years later, she still thanks me for being the little push that she needed. Most parents don’t let their children get their way when they beg and cry but this time it worked out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment